Julie is delighted to have been invited to perform alongside remarkable Scottish singer KT Tunstall at the Quay Sessions with Roddy Hart on August 29th. There are a small number of tickets available for the inaugural show of this series, and you can apply for them here:
Julie was proud and honoured, to perform a very special song as part of the Battle of the Somme Centenary Commemoration service held at the famous Thiepval Memorial in Northern France on Friday 1 July 2016.
Julie; beautifully accompanied by Tony Byrne (guitar), Patsy Reid (viola) and Alistair Iain Paterson (harmonium); performed a very moving and poignant song entitled ‘An Eala Bhàn’ (‘The White Swan’). This is a song composed by Dòmhnall Ruadh Chorùna (Donald MacDonald of Coruna), a Scottish-Gaelic poet from North Uist, whilst fighting in the battle of the Somme.
Speaking on arrival at the Memorial site yesterday (1 July; the morning of the Service), Julie said:
“It’s a huge honour to be here in Thiepval this morning to mark 100 years since the Battle of the Somme. It’s difficult to put into words how it feels to be here – it’s beautiful, peaceful, solemn, sad, humbling, thought-provoking. It is overwhelming at times to think of what happened here”
The BBC iPlayer coverage of Julie’s performance is unfortunately, no longer available to view.
The Findhorn Bay Festival 2016 was launched today, with the news that Julie is to open this year’s festival on Wednesday September 21st.
Julie is delighted to announce a series of dates in the Fall 2016 throughout the United States.
Starting in North Carolina, Julie will be on tour in October – a summary of dates are below and full venue details and ticketing links can be found at http://www.juliefowlis.com/tours
- Thur 6 Oct Carolina Theatre of Durham. Durham, North Carolina.
- Fri 7 Oct Carnegie Hall. Lewisburg, West Virginia.
- Sat 8 Oct The American Theatre. Hampton, Virginia.
- Sun 9 Oct AMP by Strathmore. North Bethesda, Maryland.
- Thur 13 Oct Nightingale Concert Hall – University of Nevada. Reno, Nevada.
- Fri 14 Oct Livermore Valley Performing Arts Center. Livermore, California.
- Sun 16 Oct McCain Auditorium – Kansas State University. Manhattan, Kansas.
- Tues 18 Oct Emporia Granada Theatre. Emporia, Kansas.
- Thur 20 Oct Culp Auditorium. East Tennessee State University. Johnson City, Tennessee.
- Fri 21 Oct Gunter Theatre. Peace Center for the Performing Arts. Greenville, South Carolina.
Remember to follow Julie on Twitter @juliefowlis (https://twitter.com/juliefowlis) and like her Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/juliefowlis to keep up with more frequent updates, chitter chatter and news.